Wednesday, November 19, 2008

News?

I had a heated discussion with my dad yesterday about the news media already announcing some of Obama's Cabinet members, even though they haven't been made official.

The main sticking point I had was that although they named the attorney general (some black guy from the Clinton years), they wouldn't do the same with Hillary Clinton for Secretary of State - even though both candidates seem to be at the exact same point in the nomination process.

In general, though, it seems like the news media should hold off on a lot of these nominations until they become official. I'm not suggesting the press should only report what the government says to report, but I think for some things, there's no reason to try and "be the first" to report an announcement. I really don't see the point.

No comments: