Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Digital TV Transition

I really don't understand how our government works.

First, the House defeated the bill to delay the digital transition under some crazy rules that the Republicans created last week which required a 2/3 majority to pass.
- Several issues with this: since when does the minority party get to invent new rules? why was this rule created in the first place? does the rule apply to every bill presented, or just this one?

Now, the House passed the bill after removing the ridiculous 2/3 majority rule. The votes were more or less the same, with Democrats overwhelmingly voting for it, and most Republicans voting against it.
- So, the rule just went away? How did the bill come back on the House floor? Can bills just come back for votes after creating and then revoking rules at will?

(I'd love to provide links, so you don't think I'm making this up, but I can't find the articles online... the ones I read were off my iphone..)

I'm sure there are major repercussions to all TV networks and providers for this delay since the schedule date was only a week or so away.

No comments: