Thursday, May 12, 2005

An Open Letter to Paris Hilton

Dear Paris,

First of all, congratulations on single-handedly changing the face of American pop culture. We no longer need to idolize people who have accomplished something (starred in a movie, made an album, etc.). We are now content in creating celebrities who are famous for just being hot.

As a dedicated fan of the Simple Life, I urge you to reconsider your decision to replace Nicole Richie. Although you were the marquee name when the show first debuted, I think it is fair to say that she embodies the true essence of what the show has become. It is her personality and interaction with the various people of the series that really carry the show.

I haven't heard much about the friend you want in place of Nicole, but I think one of the great things about the Simple Life is that the audience gets to see this pair of friends through all of their adventures, and bringing this other friend would ruin the whole experience. In fact, I know I will be wondering how Nicole would act in every situation.

I realize that whatever happened must be a huge issue for this lifelong friendship to come crashing down. However, for the sake of the show, and for all of your fans, I strongly urge you to make up with Ms. Richie.

No comments: