Sunday, March 26, 2006

Psychic readings and other fun

It's been a pretty cool weekend so far. 

Saw 'V for Vendetta' on Friday night.  One of the better movies I've seen in awhile (I saw 'Thank You for Smoking' last weekend in DC).  The dialogue was great, the story was interesting, and how can you go wrong with Natalie Portman?  You can't.  By putting her in your movie, you're already almost guaranteed a winner.

On Saturday, I was supposed to meet a friend for lunch at this Italian restaurant near my place.  We both ended up at the intersection where the restaurant should be, but neither of us could find it.  I suggested we go to Brick Oven instead, since there's an Italian restaurant of the same name in Austin.  It turns out that this Brick Oven was actually a Mediterrean restaurant and for some reason it wasn't open (even though we were there between their listed hours).  Whatever.  We ended up going to the Mexican restaurant next door.  Surprisingly up-scale for the area, and pretty good food.

After lunch, I had to chill at my apartment for the next two and a half hours, waiting for JCPenney to deliver my recliner.  When I first saw them bring in the pieces, I thought, dude I could easily have fit that stuff in my car.  Why did you have to deliver it?  But then they assembled the recliner too, which is good since it would probably have taken me about 2-3 times longer.  It's weird, I can program a computer but I can't figure out how to put together a chair.

My recliner rocks!  Not literally, it just swivels and reclines, but it's very comfortable.  Now, I can be even lazier than before.

Went to a co-worker's party in the evening.  For most people, this would probably sound really boring and even like a forced 'company party' or something, where you have to be careful of what you say and/or do.  However, since we've worked together for so long and have hung out outside of work quite a bit, that isn't the case at all.  It's actually a pretty close group of people.  It's interesting too, since the party actually had employees from three different companies, but I've worked with all of them and see most of them on a regular basis.  The party itself was great: cheesy games plus alcohol adds up to fun.

Right, so you're probably wondering about the psychic readings (or you've stopped reading at this point).  Yeah, so our HR rep from our company decided that with a deck of Snoopy playing cards, she could tell people's fortunes.  She convinced a few people (including myself) at the beginning that maybe she was legit, but when she easily forgot what she had just said about specific cards, it seemed a little fishier.  Our hunch was that she told people whatever impression she had of their personalities and then made some vague predictions about the future.  She did a pretty good job on my fortune though (her personality assessment was accurate and her vague prediction had some basis), and based on the pics, it appears I was angry and skeptical of what was being told to me.

My goal for the night was to not say anything stupid (I tend to do that with too much alcohol), and I think I succeeded on that front.


No comments: