Sunday, March 12, 2006

St. Patrick's Day

Went to the St. Patrick's Day festivities on Greenville this weekend.  It was pretty awesome to see this vast sea of green everywhere you looked up and down the street.  Block parties for like 4 or 5 blocks with alcohol freely flowing, live music, and beads for all.  The parade itself was better/longer than I expected, but I'm a sucker for parades and it doesn't take much for one to impress me.  The best part of the parade was all the free stuff they gave out: beads, ashtrays, frisbees, t-shirts, etc.  It was great.. I scored about 10 strands of beads, and an ashtray.

From there it was on to the "hashing"; not sure if I mentioned this in a previous post, but it's this event where you follow a trail marked by flour to a point (the "beer check") where you stop, drink some, and then continue on the trail until you get to another spot (the "on-in") where you drink some more.  After it's all over, everyone heads to a bar or restaurant to drink some more.  Their slogan is that they're a "drinking club with a running problem."  Normally, the trail is kinda tricky and can take you across highways, through forests, and even trodding through water.  This one was decidely less complicated (mostly due to the fact that most ppl were already drunk before the hash even started), and we ended up just calling someone and asking the address of the on-in.

So, by the time it was like 3 pm, most of us were already drunk and pretty tired.  Yeah, that's insane.  That's the earliest I've ever been drunk.  Hooting and hollering (at the parade) combined with a lot of walking and a lot of drinking ends up really tiring you out.  I would guess that I walked about 5 or 6 miles yesterday, and we were just on one street!

We finished the night off with karaoke (and more drinking) at a hole-in-the-wall bar.  This is only the second time I've done karoake, and the first time was in a private room, so everyone sucked and it was a lot of fun.  This time, it was in out in public, and everyone who performed besides our group was freakin' awesome.  We decided that they were probably part of some professional singing group that goes to karaoke nights in various bars across Dallas just to embarass everyone else.  Oh well. We still went up there and made fools out of ourselves.  I sang The Real Slim Shady with my friends' help.  I'm surprised how much of that song I remember.  Haven't heard it in a long time.

Fun, but exhausting weekend.  Oh, and made about 20 bucks in poker on Friday.  Best I've ever done.

No comments: