Thursday, July 12, 2007

Stocks, Harry Potter, Yoga

Stocks
-----------
Back in grade school, we had this project in Math class where we had an imaginary portfolio and had to invest $10,000 dollars in however many stocks we wanted.  The winner at the end of the 6-week project would get a prize (or maybe it was an A on the project, I don't remember).

It was in Math class because we didn't have this newfangled gizmo called the Internet where you could easily look up the stock quotes.  Nope, you actually had to know the ticker symbol of the companies and go to the newspaper and manually search the thousands of stocks to see the closing price.  It was a pain in the ass.

After you did that, you had to calculate your total by multiplying your number of shares times the price per share.  Also, a pain in the ass, especially if you had a lot of stocks.

Well, thank god for the Internet.  Investing in stocks is a lot easier now that everything is calculated automatically.  For some reason, I've decided to take a lot more interest in stocks and recently invested in both Amazon and Apple.  I still haven't completely figured out the websites, but I do know that green numbers are good and red numbers are bad. 

I need to move some more money around and invest in a few more companies,

Harry Potter
------------------
Last night, I saw the newest HP flick.  We arrived too late (20 minutes before it started), and had to sit in the front row.  Normally at a concert or play or something, that would be the perfect seats.  Well, not so much at a movie.  Harry was definitely larger than life, and not in a good way.

It was a great movie though, with lots of special effects and interesting character development.  Daniel Radcliffe is finally becoming a decent actor.

I heard the IMAX version has a 20-minute 3D ending which would be awesome to see..

Speaking of Harry Potter, the final book (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) comes out next Friday.  I've already gotten some people interested in attending a book release party (where everyone goes to a Barnes and Noble and dresses up and plays games while waiting for the book to be released).  It would be even more fun if we combined it with a happy hour beforehand and got to the party a little buzzed ("What the hell am I doing at a bookstore at 11pm on a Friday night? And why is everyone dressed up??")

Yoga
-------
I guess I haven't mentioned it on here yet, but I've been taking yoga classes for a few weeks now.  I'm taking the kind where you exercise in a warm room (98.6 degrees, 60% humidity) and hold different poses for 90 minutes.  It's excruciating but also a great workout.

I thought today's class was more difficult than normal, and found out that the room was 103.5 degrees!  I could barely walk when class was over.

Speaking of hot, our teacher today was incredibly attractive.  Most of them are older, but this one seemed to be newer and younger.  I hope she teaches again.

No comments: