Monday, August 25, 2008

Olympics de-brief

I'm kinda pissed that I'm not in Dallas for the Liukin rally this weekend. It's kind of a shame that Shawn Johnson seems to be getting more publicity and attention - Liukin won 5 medals, including gold for the all-around! I suppose it's all about personality though - Shawn's got the perkiness going for her, while Liukin seemed more focused (and honestly, a little pissed she didn't win the balance beam).

I went to the Carly Patterson rally back in 2004 and I still remember it pretty well. I wonder if she's play a prominent role in the one for Liukin.

I still think it's pretty crazy that out of the entire world, the past two female Olympic all-around gold medalists went to the same gym and trained together.

While the overall Olympic coverage was very impressive and amazing - to be able to cover that many events on every NBC-affliated channel as well as live streaming events online is no small feat - I think they could have done a lot more to emphasize the athletic prowess (for example, comparing the world record in the 400m to the average human's time) and spent more time portraying China as a country.
-------
I'm going to the US Open on Sunday with my dad and cousin. I've never been to a professional tennis match so I'm pretty excited. Oddly enough, I've visited 3 of the 4 Grand Slam sites, but not Flushing, NY.

No comments: