Sunday, August 17, 2008

Olympics Update

Well, you can get an update anywhere, but here's my take ;)

I'm glad that we got the 1-2 (Liukin-Johnson) in women's gymnastics - apparently it's the first time in history that taken both gold and silver. Although, I'm really shocked at the judging (Americans would nail perfect routines and the Chinese would literally fall on their asses and yet they both get the same score?!?) and the amount of times the judges needed to get on the phone to figure out some of the scoring. You'd think they'd get more seasoned judges for events like the women's finals all-around.

I was surprised that the Alicia chick was competing again. They interviewed her on NBC and I was also surprised that her voice was so high-pitched, I was expecting it to be deepr. Too bad she didn't medal though, even though this time she stuck her landing. Even worse is that she lost to the German chick who looked like a dude and is in her 30's. I feel bad for the Russian girl who got a 0 on vault because she didn't pay attention to the light. She suffered from Alicia syndrome too and messed up her floor routine right afterwards (although I'm not sure if they ever posted her score officially)..

It's really hard to gauge how good the atheletes are until you can compare it something you've done yourself. They were running the 100m and 400m today, and it's a little clearer. The women ran the 400m in less than a minute. That's one lap at the elementary school track. I'm pretty sure it took me about 2-2.5 minutes if I was running my fastest.

What's left in the Olympics? Swimming's done, as is gymnastics for the most part, yet we still have a week to go!

1 comment:

Nay said...

I thought you may be interested: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/writers/em_swift/08/18/judging.controversy/index.html?cnn=yes