Monday, August 17, 2009

Wedding Fun

I went to a wedding this past weekend in Chapel Hill, NC. I already knew I wouldn't know anyone there (I hadn't seen or spoken to the bride since I was five, and we were on the bride's side!), so the main highlight for me was just going to be seeing the state - Duke, UNC, etc.

The Duke campus was pretty amazing. It was huge - we must have walked 2 miles and I think we only saw a small percentage of the overall campus. The architecture was also beautiful and unique. I can only imagine what it would have been like to go there for undergrad. I guess there's always an MBA, eh?

I actually liked how the couple did their whole wedding. It was a nice hybrid of American and Indian ceremonies - from the "we are gathered here" to the rounds around the fire. My dad commented that an Indian priest would never have conducted the ceremony since it didn't conform to the Indian traditions, but I think it's really admirable that the couple took the parts from each culture and modified it to fit their own vision of a marriage. At the end, it's all about your relationship and how you want your marriage to begin, right?

Most of the toasts were really, really good. As I said at the beginning, I didn't know either the bride or the groom, but based on the toasts, these people sounded awesome! Have you ever noticed that funerals and weddings are the two events where the people are portrayed as practically perfect?

I met a guy there who had the exact same name as me, except he spelled his name with an 'i' instead of two 'e's. I hung out with him after the reception when he met up with some of his high school friends. I'm not a huge fan of someone else having the same name as me, but at least he's pretty cool. His friends were all really nice and laid back too, and it was pretty fun to see another side of North Carolina, or the 919 as I like to call it.

No comments: