Sunday, July 24, 2005

Crazy Insane

Ahh, it's been quite a week. Let's see what I remember.

Tuesday: So I started the Harry Potter book on Saturday, and read for maybe 8 hours total over the weekend. And then for probably another 2 or 3 hours on Monday after work. Well, I wasn't planning on finishing the book on Tuesday, but it's such a gripping plot that it's hard to just stop in the middle. Very different from the first five, but still staying true to the characters and the overarching plot, and a beautiful set-up for the final novel. I stayed up until 2 am to finish the book. Yeah, I never stay up that late: even in college, when I had assignments due, I would go to bed and then wake up early the next morning to finish them. 600+ pages in 4 days. A lot of the people I know that have read it, finished it over the weekend. So I'm the slow one. Crazy.

Wednesday: Q. Where can you find an ambulance, police cars, a fire truck, a limo, and a purple taxi cab? A. The Indian movie theater of course! Why go to an Indian movie on Wednesday, you ask. Because it's 2-for-1 silly! Yeah, so we didn't realize it at the time, but the movie we were planning to see is apparantly really popular, and got sold out last week. So by the time we could buy our tickets, it was sold out once again. Ah well, next week I guess. As for the bizarre arrangement of cars, apparantly there was a bit of a tussle with a couple saving seats for their whole family, and another family wanting those seats, proceeding to attack the other family! Obviously, that doesn't explaing the limo or purple taxi cab. But then again, nothing can explain a purple taxi cab, or why someone needs to arrive at a movie theater in a limo. We ended up going to the dollar theater and seeing "Kicking and Screaming" with Will Ferrell. That guy can carry pretty much any film by himself, and this was no exception. The trailers sucked, so I was pleasantly surprised that the movie was really funny.

Friday: Well, since we couldn't go to the Indian movie on Wednesday, we still needed our Indian fill for the week! What better place to fill that empty hole than the National Indian Asian Dance Convention? I can't think of one. Pretty good dance performances overall, but I could have done without the slow parts, even though that's supposedly what typefies some Indian classical dance. Parts of it actually reminded me of Riverdance, since the dancers were so synchronized and they had bells on their ankles that made sounds similar to the taps. In the spirit of diversity, they also had performances by a hip-hop group and a flamenco group (that had performed on Broadway, Carnegie Hall, and the Lincoln Center) .

Saturday: It's off to Ft. Worth for An Evening of Jazz! And by "evening," I mean we arrived at around 5:30 pm. Yeah, so imagine sitting on a paper-thin blanket in a parking lot with the sun beating down on you, and there's no shade. It seems almost cruel to say that jazz is supposed to be "cool" music when you're trying to endure the 100+ degrees weather. I'm used to being in the heat for a total of 5-10 minutes every day: from my apartment to my car, from my car to the office, from the office to the car, and from the car to my apartment. This was like an hour and a half straight! My body was confused, and really wanted me to go into an air-conditioned environment as soon as possible. There was a huge break between performers, so we thought it'd be a good time to go get dinner. When we came back around 10, the concert was much more enjoyable, since it was much cooler and the performers were much more skilled (featuring former NBA star Wayman Tisdale!). They even got the entire crowd (several hundred people) doing the Hustle! Quite a scene.

No comments: