Sunday, May 07, 2006

Cinco de Mayo weekend

I spent most of yesterday reading On Intelligence, which basically outlines why the current status of the field of AI is headed in the wrong direction, and in order to model computers based on human intelligence, it's necessary to take a closer look at the human brain and see how it works. Obviously, this is a very broad thesis, and is made much harder by the fact that not everything is known about the workings of the brain.

Overall, though, it's a great book -- touching on the subjects of computer science, neuroscience, and even a little bit of philosophy. Like the author, it's a little amazing to me that artificial intelligence didn't take this approach to start out with.

Although the main focus of the book is to outline where AI needs to be headed, I mainly bought the book because I was interested in learning how the brain worked, and it definitely excels in both areas.

Last night, went to a former co-worker's apartment-warming party. Poker + good mix of guys and girls + dancing + lots of alcohol = pretty fun night (ended up staying until 5 am). Got some crazy pictures/videos (125/3). Somehow, every time I take my camera out, I end up with way more pictures than I remember taking.

No comments: