Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Year in Review

Yeah, I know there's a good two months left before 2007, but I've been reflecting lately on how the year's been going so far.

And the verdict is... it sucks.  This might have been the worst year ever for me.  Sure, the year has had its moments, but, overall, not so great.  Not that anything exceptionally bad happened, but nothing great or remarkable happened either.  And that makes it worse.  Each year should see some amount of change or growth or development of some sort, and I didn't grow or develop or learn anything this year.  I'm in the same place I was a year ago, and have essentially the same group of people surrounding me.

What makes the year even worse is seeing everyone around me growing and changing. Some of them have gotten new cars, others new jobs, others still new relationships (or further strengthened existing relationships).  The ones who are still at their same jobs (from a year ago) are getting massive raises/promotions, while I'm still making basically the same amount of money and have the same responsibilities.

It's your own fault, Sumeet, you're thinking.  You need to get out there and change things yourself, and stop waiting for the world to accommodate you and for everything to fall into your lap.  Well, that's really easy to say but much harder to do.  And I have tried.  The first half of the year looked promising, and I honestly believed I'd be somewhere else right now: if not physically, at least emotionally.

But you know what they say.  There's nothing more American than false hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sumeet I guarantee you are not the only one who feels this way. I feel that way about this past year too. In fact I feel that I have gone backwards. It takes a lot of energy to wade water and remain afloat so give yourself props for that.