Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Hockey Game, etc.

I just got back from a Dallas Stars game.

The atmosphere was very different (i.e. much more subdued) from a basketball game. I guess I figured that all sports fans were the same and had the same amount of energy no matter the sport, but I was wrong.

All I knew about hockey going into the game came from watching The Mighty Ducks (yes, the classic Disney movie starring Emilio Estevez).

I know a lot more now:
1) Fights make the game a lot more interesting (esp. since there were only 6 goals scored, and that was considered a "high-scoring" night)
2) The Ice Girls alone are worth the price of admission.
3) There are no timeouts in hockey. (Go figure ).
4) Players just run on and off the rink whenever they want. They don't have to wait for a stoppage of play.
4) It's a much quieter atmosphere in general. In basketball, it seems they're always playing music. In hockey, they only play it after goals.

Oh, as for the 'etc.' in the title of this awesome blog entry, this past weekend there were two parties and I took defensive driving.

Defensive driving wasn't too bad. One of the girls (who was incredibly hot btw) took the same class with the same instructor three weeks previously and had known that she would be taking it again. You'd think there'd be some sort of rule against that.

I actually learned a few rules that I didn't know going into the class, so maybe it was worth spending a Saturday holed up in a Mexican restaurant. Rules like you can't pass or change lanes in a school zone and the suggested distance between you and the car in front is now 2 seconds instead of "one car length for every 10 mph." Oh, and the instructor told us all this stuff about alcohol which turned out to be mostly LIES - stuff like tolerance is a myth and everyone absorbs alcohol at the same rate no matter their weight or height.

The parties were fun, but not incredibly eventful (I only found about 30 pics on my camera, which I still need to upload). The one on Friday was literally in the middle of nowhere, and the one on Saturday was a hop, skip and jump away from my place. In both cases, I think I was the soberest one there (except for the people who weren't drinking). The scare tactics at defensive driving worked to some extent since I didn't drink nearly what I could have on Saturday.

No comments: