Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Belgium

We spent Thanksgiving in Belgium this year.

My sister got a project working in Brussels (all expenses paid!), and she arranged flights for my parents and me to come visit her. We were also supposed to go to Italy for a few days, but my sister was still recovering from tonsillitis so we had to cancel that trip.

I was pretty impressed with Belgium. Hearing people talk about the great architecture and the culture is very different from experiencing it yourself. I don't know why Americans think Europeans are stuck up and rude. Most of the people we talked to were more than willing to help us.

We saw a good part of Brussels and then took a day trip to this tourist-y city Brugges. On the last day, my sister had to work so I went by myself to Antwerp. Luckily, the public transportation system is fairly easy (and my sister left great directions) so it was pretty easy to get there.

The best part of Brussels was definitely the food. We tried the chocolate, beer, fries, and waffles. My sister had always talked about great the waffles are, and now I know exactly what she means. They sell waffles on the street like they sell pretzels in New York. Delicious!

Everyone in Belgium seemed to be very stylish. It didn't matter where we went, everyone just seemed to be more fashionable that what I've seen here.

Oh, one of my life goals has changed as a result of this trip. Instead of owning an island, I could easily make do with a castle. I don't know how many are still available/for sale, but a castle would be pretty awesome to live in.

1 comment:

Nay said...

i'm glad you had fun!! enjoy those waffles...

i do leave great directions, don't i? ;)