Sunday, June 08, 2008

Dallas

Get closer to your home base, whatever that means to you. It could be family, your place of birth or the home office, but you should find that you feel more confident and relaxed there.

That was my horoscope for Friday, and it couldn't have been more accurate. I returned to Dallas this weekend for my friend's wedding. It was great to see everyone and I think it's fair to say that I consider the city my "home base." Since I knew very few people when I first moved there, I had to create my own friend circle. Even though I met most of them through work, everyone has moved on to other companies yet still keeps in touch. Coincidentally, the couple that was getting married met through this very friend circle.

I was supposed to fly in on Friday night, and had even organized a little homecoming party (I'm a little vain and self-centered, so what?) for my arrival. But since the airline industry sucks, and especially American Airlines, my flight got canceled and I wasn't able to get there until 9am the next morning!

Needless to say, the entire weekend was pretty busy. I had lunch with some friends on Saturday who weren't invited to the wedding and then had about an hour to kill before all the groomsmen had to be at the venue to get dressed. It was a pretty short ceremony (which was good since being a groomsman and having to stand still in uncomfortable shoes for a long period of time is not fun), and we actually spent more time taking pictures afterwards.

I have to admit I got a little reflective during the ceremony since I (like most of the people in the room) saw their relationship from the beginning. It did make me question to some extent whether I should have done more during that same time period. I certainly don't want to follow their path (divorce, dating, child, and marriage in 1.5 years is a bit fast), but I also don't think I've grown/achieved as much as I could have.

It was supposed to be a dry reception, but my friends are creative and crafty (and huge lushes) and managed to sneak liquor in. Since it started at 6pm, the entire thing including ceremony and reception was finished by 10pm. We continued the partying at my friend's place afterwards and I didn't get to bed until 3am.

We played Truth or Dare (actually our modified version, Truth or Truth), and this time it got a little rough and very personal -- we had played it at a previous party but it was more light-hearted and fun (e.g. if you were gay, which co-worker would you sleep with). I don't think we should play that game ever again. Let's just leave it at that. There's probably some truths that are better left unknown.

It was a little sad leaving this time, since I honestly don't know when I"ll be back or if I'll see some of them again.

No comments: