Saturday, May 02, 2009

MacBook HD failure!

So I thought Macs were supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Well, even sliced bread can have its flaws apparently. On Friday night, when I was just using my computer normally, my Mac just froze. This was the first time that had happened since I got it 1.5 years ago, so I thought it was pretty strange.

I restarted it, and even more bizarre behavior continued - a flashing folder with a question mark appeared, instead of the normal apple. Yeah, so after surfing the web on my iPhone, I found out that it was most likely a hard drive failure. Luckily, I didn't have much important data on there, except for songs and photos, so I wasn't too worried.

I have to admit that the people at the Apple store are pretty good at their jobs. I was sort of expecting the people at the Genius Bar to be condescending and rude (just look at the name!), but they were actually pretty nice and helpful. They were able to replace the hard drive (for free!) in about 20 minutes.

Apparantly, there was a "known issue" with the hard drives in my model of the MacBook, so they didn't charge me. I dunno how they do it at Apple, but at my company, we put known issues in our release notes so that we can't be blamed for it later. It would have been nice to have known about the known issue so I could have backed up my non-essential data before it just disappeared.

No comments: