Sunday, April 02, 2006

Firefox Extensions

I had no idea it was so easy to create a Firefox extension.

I followed the tutorial here: http://www.gmacker.com/web/content/tutorial/firefox/firefoxtutorial.htm , and then looked at the code for one of the extensions I already had, and that was it.

I didn't know any Javascript before I started, and just figured out enough to finish my extension, but the beauty is you don't have to be an expert to create an extension.

The one I wrote basically brings up a webpage (via a "I'm Feeling Lucky" Google search) of the lyrics to the song that's currently playing.  It finds out the name of the song through the FoxyTunes extension.  So, instead of copying the title from the toolbar, pasting it into another window and searching, it's now just two clicks away.

No comments: