Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Robbed!

I came home after work yesterday and noticed that my door was unlocked. Well, that's weird. I KNOW I locked my door.

After I got in, I saw that my laptop - a month-old MacBook - was missing along with the AC adapter. I turned towards the TV and saw that my less-than-3-weeks-old Wii was also gone. Inside my entertainment center, all my PS2 games were also gone (but, curiously my Arrested Development DVDs were still there). Nothing else in the apartment was touched. I don't think the culprit(s) even left the living room.

So, I was robbed. I honestly things like this happened to people like me. I've been thinking about it and there's really nothing I could have done to prevent it. Someone had a key, entered the apartment, took exactly what they wanted (they also stole my only Wii game, the Wiimote, and the TV sensor), and left.

American Express said they'd refund up to $1K with their consumer protection plan, so I'll probably get another laptop - maybe even upgrade to MacBookPro. I'm not sure about the Wii just yet. It was pretty hard to find in the first place, but it was pretty fun once I got into it.

The lady above me - a cute, single black girl about my age - also got robbed yesterday. She dropped by earlier and she has the same opinion as me - that someone from the complex is involved. In her case, they also took her laptop but had to go into her bedroom to get it. We've both been here for less than 3 months, don't have renter's insurance and are upset about the parking situation. She talked to the apartment people and they weren't very helpful.

Their official line is that someone used a 'bump key,' but the cops ruled out that possibility. I'm not sure if we'll get compensated for our losses, but I do know that neither of us plans to renew our leases and we'll never feel safe living here.
------
My favorite part of this whole episode has been people's reactions. I use the Gmail status pretty obsessively during the day - mostly because I get bored at work, but also just to see who reads/responds to it. Usually, they're song lyrics or links to random celeb stories.

Today, I had the message "I was robbed!" and was surprised that no one responded! Finally, when people did message me, instead of immediately showing/faking sympathy/concern, they asked "Were you actually robbed?", "Really?", "Did you really get robbed?"

I suppose it's a crying wolf situation. When something serious finally happens to me, everyone just assumes it's another one of my crazy superficial messages. Fair enough.

2 comments:

Shane said...

Dude, that sucks! Nintendo might be able to track down an IP given the wii connect feature!! Did you have anything irreplaceable on the laptop?

Just for info, I didn't respond to your gmail away message cause I thought you lost some halloween costume contest. ( Several of you have been commenting about costumes )

Nay said...

and i thought you were "robbed" in some karaoke contest or poker game. i noticed you changed it after we started chatting though...

thieves suck! (now i feel guilty for taking the towel from my last hotel.)