Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Holocaust isn't funny?

Bert: Hey, Ernie, uh, you know that you have a banana in your ear?
Ernie: (Loudly) What was that, Bert?
Bert: I said, you have a banana in your ear, Ernie.
Ernie: (Very loud) Whaddya say, Bert?
Bert: (Yelling) WILL YOU JUST TAKE THAT BANANA OUTTA YOUR EAR!
Ernie: (Yelling back) I’M SORRY, BERT, BUT YOU’LL HAVE TO SPEAK A LITTLE LOUDER!
I CAN’T HEAR YOU! I HAVE A BANANA IN MY EAR!

As I mentioned in my last post, my friend from Delaware came to visit this weekend and it was a lot of fun.

We saw two shows from the Capital Fringe Festival: one was a stand-up comic who related his life stories as episodes from a soap opera, and the second was labeled a comedy on the website, but turned out to be incredibly serious and depressing.

I suppose the synopsis for the second show didn't really sound humorous (the German chancellor invites 6 million Jews back to Germany and examining the repercussions of his decision), but we still thought there was a chance. That idea quickly dissolved about 15 minutes into the show when 2 characters had already died and there were no jokes.

The comic was pretty funny though, so 1 for 2 isn't bad.

In between shows, we met up with my (only) friend in DC and some of her friends at the Jim Henson exhibit at the Smithsonian. I had no idea he had created so many other shows and characters besides Sesame Street and The Muppets. They had Kermit and Bert & Ernie on display as well as some other characters - but no sign of Elmo, Grover or Miss Piggy.

Fun fact: Kermit only ended up being green because the first one was made of Jim's mother's coat.
Fun fact #2: Oscar the Grouch was originally drawn purple, and he was orange in his first season, before taking on his familiar green color.

No comments: