Monday, July 28, 2008

My new social life

Back in Dallas, my friend circle consisted mostly of people who did the same thing I did: sitting in front of a computer for 8+ hours a day. Sadly, our conversations at parties oftentimes turned to the latest technologies and problems with certain programming languages (after we got tired of gossiping about people who weren't at the party ;) ).

Well, here in DC, my new social life has consisted of going to random parties where I've met the host maybe once or twice and didn't know anyone else. Sure, it's sort of awkward at first, but a little bit of alcohol, food, and some fun party games and it's like you've known the people forever.

The random party on Friday was hosted by my sister's good friends and they had a Christmas in July theme. I was a little hesitant to go at first since it seemed like a close knit group and was far away, but I had a great time and everyone was really friendly. There was even a girl there who went to UT!

We also went to drop my sister off in NYC this weekend. Her project in Belgium didn't get an extension so she'll be working on a project in NY again. I visited my high school friend in NYC and it was pretty interesting to hear all his med school horror stories. If I had known that there were so many attractive girls in med school, I may have switched majors ;) although it sounds like their shifts are ridiculous (his roommate had just finished a 27-hour shift with only one 40-minute break!).

No comments: