Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Information Age!

I live in Texas, and there's about half an inch of snow/sleet/ice on the ground, so naturally the entire city (and a good part of the state) shuts down.

This includes my company, which follows whatever the University of Texas at Dallas does.

How does this information get conveyed to me personally? Well, I've gotten into the bad habit of checking my personal email before getting ready to go to work. And one of my emails alerted me that a co-worker had updated his MySpace blog, which noted that UTD was closed today. So I check the UTD website just to double-check, and sure enough, it's closed.

About 5 minutes later, I get a text message from another co-worker saying that the voicemail message at work says it's closed.

About 10 minutes after that, I get a Google Talk message from the secretary saying the same thing. And about 5 minutes after the brief chat, I get an "official" email from her.

I just talked to my mom and told her how work was closed today. She asked if I had called in to make sure. I didn't even have time to do that, because everyone told me it was closed within 15 minutes of me waking up.

Word definitely travels fast in this information age.

No comments: